Mincon Carbide Ltd.  
   
 
 
 
In this section:

Our History

  • 1938: Hardmetal manufacturing commenced in the Sheffield area under Thomas Firth & John Brown Steelmakers with technology acquired from Firth Stirling in Pittsburgh.
  • 1947: Following the war, Thomas Firth & John Brown was placed into public ownership. At this time there was no place for the Engineers Tool Department (which included the hardmetal facility) so this division was transferred to a new company Firth Brown Tools Ltd
  • 1963: The current premises were built and the hardmetal plant was re-located from a factory across the road. At this time the facility included hydrogen reduction furnaces to convert APT to tungsten metal powder.
  • 1970’s: At its peak the APT plant was supplying c400 tonnes per year most of which was supplied to the UK’s Ministry of Defence.
  • 1985: Marshalls Hard Metals was formed by Marshalls Halifax PLC merging their own engineering company Higher Speed Metals Ltd with Firth Brown Tools (FBT) Hard Metals Ltd. The employees, plant and equipment of High Speed Metals was transferred and incorporated within the current Windsor Street facilities of FBT Hard Metals Ltd     
  • 1987: MHM becomes one of the first companies in the UK to acquire the latest updated version of Quality System Standard BS5750 (later to become BS EN ISO 9001
  • 1994: Installation of the latest fully integrated management software system
  • 1996: MHM leaves Marshalls PLC and is placed along side Halco Drilling International (formally Halifax Tool Company) and Halco America (formerly Marshalls Drilling Inc) to form the Halco Group Ltd
  • 1999: Marshalls Hard Metals takes delivery of their first Sinter Hip Furnace removing the need to sub contract the hot isostatic pressing operation, giving MHM total control over the complete manufacturing process
  • 2003: MHM Separates from the Halco Group to become a stand alone manufacturing company
  • 2004: The introduction of the first part of a capital investment program to introduce high performance CNC cylindrical grinding machines and increases productivity. This also allows the company to manufacture new and more complex components
  • 2005: MHM manufactures and introduces to the market a high quality tungsten carbide nozzle complete with a fully ground external thread and hexagon bore
  • 2006 – 2009: Continuation of capital investment program with the introduction of further CNC cylindrical grinding machines, hi-tech touch screen controlled surface grinding machines and a second sinter hip furnace.
  • 2010: Due to increased demand for complex tungsten carbide products and MHM’s commitment to grow their business, EDM die sinking and wire erosion machines are installed in the factory. Along with increasing productivity of selected components this also enhances tool making capacity and quality.
  • 2011 – 2012: A third Sinter Hip Furnace is commissioned and begins production.
  • 2015: Marshalls Hard Metals aquired by the Mincon Group PLC to create Marshalls Carbide Ltd a wholly owned susidiary of the Mincon Group PLC  
 
   
     
Logon